Yearning to truly experience democracy in action? We connect with our state and federal legislators to advocate for our beliefs. An important part of this process is to respectfully engage with individuals and staffers whose viewpoints may differ from our own.
Voter Registration with MIRA
As the elections have shown us, it is important that we get the immigrant vote out. Volunteers will register newly sworn-in citizens to vote—empowering them with the first rite of passage to becoming an active and engaged citizen and take advantage of that right during the 2018 midterm elections. Click the link below to sign up for Voter Registration with MIRA (Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition) for one of the most simple, poignant, and impactful experiences of citizen activism.
2017 Platform Amendment Planning Hearing
Taking the democratic process from the People to the Party, members of Essex County #6 Indivisible hosted a public Democratic Platform Amendment Hearing from which to draft community-led Amendments for consideration at the Platform Convention in Worcester. Participants gave testimony at the Hearing, hosted on May 25th in Manchester-by-the-Sea, resulting in two amendments to the 2017 Democratic Party Platform. One amendment emphasized opposition to for-profit prisons and the other advocated for stronger language across the platform regarding access to vocational and technical training.
Other EC6 Initiatives
- Spearheading a letter-writing campaign to Senators Warren and Markey and Congressman Moulton in February 2017, garnering a passionate acknowledgment by Senator Warren in her testimony against the confirmation of Betsy DeVos;
- Attending and testifying at Commonwealth Conversations with our State Senators;
- Meeting with State Senator Bruce Tarr to discuss three bills pertaining to immigration (click here for our follow-up letter summarizing the fruitful discussion;)
- Attending town halls and other statewide meetings;
- Participating in issue-based working groups with other Boston-area organizations;
- Attending and contributing to Massachusetts Democratic Platform Planning meetings;
- Promoting and participating in Voter Registration drives via Representative Seth Moulton's District 6 voter registration campaign. (Sign up to volunteer for voter registration drives throughout the district.)
“Never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. If people all over the world...would do this, it would change the earth.”